Export Control Training
Georgia Southern University tenure track faculty who engage in research or collaborations with foreign entities are encouraged to complete the Export Control Training available through the University CITI program. The course is valid for 3 years. You will be prompted by email 30 days before your training expires to complete refresher training.
Faculty who wish to apply for external funding or sponsored activity in high export risk areas must complete the Export Control training course prior to establishment of a funded award account.
Examples of high export risk research areas include but are not limited to:
- Satellites, missles, rockets, propellants, and energetic materials
- Military items, services, or technology
- Nuclear energy or technology
- Select agents listed at https://www.selectagents.gov/SelectAgentsandToxinsList.html
- Biological Materials
- Chemical agent precursors
- GPS technology
- Artificial Intelligence
- Software source code or encryption technology not commercially available
- Drones (UAS)
- Sensors and lasers
Export Control Training is provided to all faculty, staff and students through the University CITI Program account without charge.
- Access your CITI account through the “Research Resources” tile on your my.georgiasouthern.edu portal or click here.
- If you do not already have a CITI account: Instructions for Registering for a CITI account:
- Once you have a CITI account, you must add the Export Controls course. Once logged in, look for the “Add a Course” link near your course list, scroll to Question 9, select “Researcher” and click Submit at the bottom of the page.
If you have a CITI account at another institution, add an affiliation to Georgia Southern from the link on the Main Menu of your CITI account to receive credit for modules taken at that institution and to utilize the GS electronic systems. (Do not drop you affiliation with prior institutions or courses taken under that institution will be deleted by the CITI system. You may have an unlimited number of affiliations.) Be aware that some institutions have customized their training selections or modules. Only the standard modules that have not expired will transfer.
Last updated: 4/27/2020