Research Services supports faculty and staff in the acquisition, performance and administration of projects and programs funded from sources outside the University through research development, administration and service; research integrity and compliance; and award management. These offices serve as the central point of coordination for grants, and contractual obligations from individuals; government and public agencies; and industrial financial and private organizations to support sponsored research and service activities at Georgia Southern University.
We know it can be overwhelming to navigate the University and requirements for applying for a grant or working with your sponsored funding partners. Your first point of contact should be your grant coordinator, assigned by college and campus.
Helpful Hints for Research
- Take time to review the research-related University policies and be informed before you begin your search for sponsored research funding.
- Become an expert reader of funding opportunities and requests for proposal. Funding opportunity guidelines are unique! They vary greatly — even within an agency.
- Know that your grant coordinator is your first point of contact for research proposals. All proposal approvals route through the university electronic Research Administration (eRA) Cloud Express system. Start with the tutorials to familiarize yourself with the system.
- Follow us on Facebook and visit the Research Services and Research Integrity websites for need-to-know sponsored research updates and resources.
- Faculty who plan to apply for external funding or sponsored activities must complete the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training as well as the Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) annual certification. Contact the Office of Research Integrity or ask your grant coordinator for information on these compliance programs.
- Research Services reviews and submits all proposals seeking external funding. For the most comprehensive review and submission, provide your completed proposal to your grant coordinator at least five business days prior to sponsor deadline.
- In early discussions with sponsors, defer discussions of budgets and indirect cost arrangements to your grant coordinator. All budgets must be approved internally PRIOR to formal discussion and submission to the sponsor.
- Utilize Research Services for negotiation and review of agreements, contracts and grants. Research Services reviews and negotiates research-related agreements for funded and non-funded projects, such as Non-Disclosure Agreements, Materials Transfer Agreements, Data Use Agreements and other, similar documents.
- Leverage our signing authority services and grant acceptance on behalf of the University.
Last updated: 6/26/2020