Faculty Research Committee
Awards for Excellence in Research/Innovation and Discovery
The Faculty Research Committee Awards for Excellence in Research and Innovation and Discovery Awards are given to recognize demonstrated excellence in research and innovation.
• Eligibility is open to the Corps of Instruction, as defined by the Board of Regents: Full-time professors, associate professors, assistant professors, instructors, lecturers and teaching personnel with such other titles as may be approved by the Board, shall be the Corps of Instruction. Full-time research and extension personnel and duly certified librarians will be included in the Corps of Instruction on the basis of comparable training. Persons holding adjunct appointments or other honorary titles shall not be considered to be members of the faculty. Faculty members holding the rank of Chair/Director or above shall not be eligible to compete for these awards.
• Faculty who have won the Excellence in Research Award in the past 10 years are not eligible to compete. This award will not be awarded to a single individual more than 2 times in his or her career.
• Faculty must be employed by Georgia Southern or the former Armstrong University in a faculty position for a minimum of 3 full contract years prior to nomination for this award.
• Faculty members must be on contract within the Corps of Instruction during the academic year following election. Award recipients will participate in the Focus on Excellence lecture series. Faculty members who leave the University will forfeit the award and stipend and a new faculty recipient selected.
Any member of the Georgia Southern faculty or administration may nominate one eligible faculty member for the award. Self-nominations will not be accepted. Members of the committee may not be nominated nor submit nominations or letters of support for this award.
Nominations must be submitted through the online nomination form located in the Georgia Southern Awards website.
Nominated Faculty members must complete an award application providing a history of academic work and samples for committee review. A shared workspace will be provided to you to collect your application pieces. Folders will be pre-loaded. If you create any new folders in the workspace, you must assign administrative rights to Eleanor Haynes to allow for site management.
Two awards are nominated each fiscal year. Award winners are are presented at the university awards ceremony. Awards are accompanied by a $1000 academic stipend to allow recipients time to devote to their scholarly pursuit.
• The Excellence Application may uploaded to the google drive folder link emailed to each nominee. Google drive folders will be available to the nominees until 5 pm on the application due date.
• Letters of Support should be submitted via email as text or an attachment to email@example.com. The subject line should include FRC letter of support for “your name”. (Minimum of 3 and maximum of 6 letters per application.)
(Note: If you or your colleague need to submit a letter of support by U.S. mail; please direct the letter to ATTN: FRC, P.O. Box 8005, Statesboro GA, 30458)
Application Deadline: GS Awards website
Award in Excellence in Research / Creative Scholarly Activity winners:
Academic Year 2019-2020
• Dr. John Van Stan, Department of Geology and Geography, College of Science and Mathematics
• Dr. Ji Wu, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, College of Science and Mathematics
Academic Year 2018-2019
• Dr. Andrew Hansen, Department of Community Health Behavior, Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health
• Dr. Mujibur Khan, Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering and Computing
Academic Year 2017-2018
• Dr. Chad Posick, Assistant Professor, Department of Criminal Justice & Criminology
• Dr. Hani Samawi, Professor, Department of Biostatistics
Academic Year 2016-2017
• Dr. Derek Larson, Associate Professor, Department of Art
• Dr. Gulzar Shah, Associate Dean, Academic, Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health
Academic Year 2015-2016
• Dr. Jian Zhang, Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology
• Dr. Weihua (Marshall) Ming, Professor, Distinguished Chair, Department of Chemistry
Academic Year 2014-2015
• Dr. Hua Wang, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematical Sciences
• Dr. Valentin Soloiu, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Academic Year 2013-2014
• Dr. K. Bryant Smalley, Associate Professor, Department of Psychology
• Dr. Juan Luque, Assistant Professor, Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health
Academic Year 2012-2013
• Dr. Lorenza Beati-Ziegler, Professor, Department of Biology
• Mr. Marc Mouldon, Associate Professor, Department of Art
Academic Year 2011-2012
• Dr. Lance McBrayer, Associate Professor, Department of Biology
• Dr. Wen-Ran Zhang, Professor, Department of Computer Science
Academic Year 2010-2011
• Dr. Christopher Cutler, Associate Professor, Department of Biology
• Dr. Samuel Todd, Associate Professor, Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Family and Consumer Science
Academic Year 2009-2010
• Dr. Richard Pacelle, Professor, Department of Political Science
• Dr. Junan Shen, Assistant Professor, Department of Construction Management and Civil Engineering Technology
• Dr. Jonathan Geisler – Professor, Department of Geology and Geography (Special award for Research and/or Creative Scholarly Activity during tenure at Georgia Southern University.)
Academic Year 2008-2009
• Dr. Lance Durden, Associate Professor, Department of Biology
• Dr. Karl E.Peace, Professor, Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health
Academic Year 2007-2008
• Dr. Sophie George, Professor, Department of Biology
• Dr. Xiao-Jun Wang, Professor, Department of Physics
Last updated: 6/17/2020