About the Institute
To transform the health and well-being of our communities through applied evidence-based practices and technology integration.
Our Guiding Principles
At IHLA, we believe policies and practices that promote optimal health and well-being should be rooted in daily life. Our Institute’s culture is guided by a strong set of principles by which we live and is evidenced through our everyday interactions with the community and partner organizations.
First, the One Health approach influences everything we do. We are motivated by a mutual recognition that the health of humans, animals, and our shared environment are interconnected. We believe that increased cooperation, communication, and collaboration across human, animal, and environmental groups is crucial for overall planetary health.
We are driven by data in our quest to improve the decision-making process across every aspect of the modern world. This includes the integration of technology, not just because it’s fun but because it has the potential to advance health across sectors. We strategically use technology and data to scale impact for the public good, but not at the expense of the individual.
We bridge the gap between academia and industry by building relationships, sharing our expertise, and implementing evidence-based practices. We thrive in opportunities where we can pull knowledge from the classroom and bring it to the field.
Finally, we value creativity and innovation in developing solutions to global health challenges, especially those resulting from emergencies and disasters. We firmly believe prevention is better than reaction and that engaging local stakeholders is the key to long-term sustainability.
Primary Areas of Expertise
Every organization can benefit from data to stay mission-focused and ensure limited resources are optimized. Health analytics involves the analysis of the data using quantitative and qualitative techniques to explore trends and patterns. Analytics involves collecting, managing, analyzing, and interpreting data into accurate, reliable, and timely information, which can be used in decision-making across multiple sectors and industries. Health informatics is an interdisciplinary field that involves people, processes, and technologies to use the information derived from data analytics to improve health systems and health outcomes. Data are just a bunch of numbers, and information systems are inefficient unless they are used correctly and put to meaningful use for decision makers and stakeholders.
Examples of Services Provided:
- Assistance with the collection, tracking, and analysis of pertinent data needed to inform decision-making processes
- Provide expertise in data management
- Facilitate data extraction from electronic health records systems for research or service purposes
- Guidance in creating and implementing a data management process
- Migrate and integrate data across health and information systems
- Create documentation to assist in using data correctly
- Collect and/or use secondary data to inform health practice
- Use statistics to understand relationships between key variables
- Incorporate technology into emergency preparedness and housing plans across sectors
We work collaboratively to improve the health of local and global communities. We have experts from various disciplines related to public health epidemiology, health services delivery, disease surveillance and infection control, health informatics, and emergency preparedness and response. We have an extensive scholarship portfolio focused on the application of health data and the best practices for operationalizing the ‘One Health’ approach. Recognizing collaboration between academia and the private sector can help organizations meet their programmatic goals, our team specializes in program planning and development, as well as ensuring programs are aligned with objectives through a variety of evaluation procedures.
Examples of Services Provided:
- Consultation to analyze business processes and meet reporting requirements for health-related programs
- Guidance in the development, administration, and analysis of online surveys
- Produce reports and summaries for funders and stakeholders
- Supply the infrastructure needed for designing, implementing, and managing research and evaluation studies, including drafting ethics protocols, subject recruitment, and management of research processes
- Consult on emergency preparedness plans for businesses and non-profit organizations that prioritize the safety and health of people, pets, livestock, wildlife, and the environment
At Georgia Southern, we excel at training the next generation of health professionals with undergraduate and graduate programs in biological sciences, health informatics, nursing, public health, and other related fields. In addition to preparing the future workforce, we also recognize learning happens outside of the classroom, so we offer customized solutions tailored to the on-site, field, and web-based learning environments for current workforce development. We believe everyone can benefit from engaging, hands-on training. IHLA uses pedagogic theory and adult learning principles to build high-quality instructional material to meet regulatory compliance and other training needs.
Examples of Services Provided:
- Access to faculty and staff with extensive expertise in public health, epidemiology, biostatistics, occupational health and safety, health informatics, and emergency preparedness
- Aid in linking research and practice (provision of white papers)
- Develop and manage web content, web-based applications, and database systems for improved health communication
- Provide system support for integrated solutions related to Emergency Operations Center (EOC) support, field operations, and logistics management during emergency response
- Construction of learning and professional development systems
- Development of courses in high-demand areas such as One Health, infection control, risk communication, and many more
- Host webinars and online courses through our learning management systems
- Register track, and test course participants
- Offer Continuing Educations Credits (CEUs) in human and animal health
- Manage and facilitate conferences and seminars covering a variety of health-related topics
Applications Beyond the Traditional Settings
…and many more
Data insight and technology integration can help ALL industries.
Last updated: 4/27/2022