Reviews and Approvals
Investigators are encouraged to contact their Grant Coordinator that they plan to respond to a funding opportunity and provide information about the funding program. Grant Coordinators will assist in proposal preparation and submission process.
After review and approval, all proposals are submitted by Research Services on behalf of the Georgia Southern University Research and Service Foundation. As the Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR), the Executive Director must approve all proposals before they are submitted to external funding agencies.
- The routing and approval process begins five (5) business days prior to the sponsor’s submission deadline, with the PI submitting a complete proposal and budget through the Cloud Express electronic research administration (eRA) system. Please contact your grant coordinator for further information.
- PIs are encouraged to contact the department chair and/or dean as early as possible, particularly when proposals include release time, additional space, renovations, or other resources that must be approved by the department, college or university.
- All project investigators must complete the Financial Conflict of Interest Training (FCOI) and screening disclosure. Proposals will not be submitted until the FCOI and screening disclosure are complete.
Processing and Deadlines
- PIs should contact their grant coordinator to discuss proposals under development and to provide information about the funding program.
- PIs will work closely with their grant coordinator through the proposal preparation and submission process. PIs are responsible for ensuring that the proposal satisfies funding source requirements.
- PIs considering contracts or involving external collaborators are urged to contact their grant coordinator early. Such proposals are often more complex and may require additional processing.
- The grant coordinator offers assistance in preparing all necessary forms, representations, certifications, assurances, budget development, and other nontechnical data.
- After review and approval, all proposals are submitted by Research Services on behalf of the Georgia Southern University Research and Service Foundation. As the Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR), the Executive Director must approve all proposals before they are submitted to external funding agencies.
- The full proposal must be routed through the electronic research administration (eRA) system by Research Services five (5) working days before the funding agency’s deadline for internal approvals. Failure to comply may result in the proposal being returned to the PI without approval.
- Completing a proposal for a contract is typically much more complicated than a grant application. Investigators should allow Research Services and the grant coordinator additional time to process the administrative component.
- The completed eRA approval routing log assures that all academic and administrative officials involved in the conduct of the proposed sponsored activity have reviewed and approved the proposal and agree to fulfill any and all commitments it sets forth. All members of the university responsible for the sponsored project must approve the proposal in the eRA system, documenting their accountability.
Last updated: 7/7/2022